Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sweet Victory

Anybody that knows me at all, knows I'm very competitive. I do not like to lose. It is one of the worst feelings possible. That is why the opposite, that sweet thing called victory, is so great. I was recently told of a great story of competition where the winner(s) must have felt great joy.

The popular Wall Arch fell this weekend. Before the fall, it was ranked the 12th tallest arch in Utah's Arches Nat'l Park.



So what does this mean for the rest of the arches? It means #13 won!

But really, officials wanted to get a perspective from other arches around the park. So they interviewed several and here is what a few of them had to say about the event:

Arch #13: "I just can't believe I'm here. I've been dreaming of this moment for centuries. I can't believe I'm in the top 12. I want to thank all my supporters. And to all those people who tried to ware me down and walk all over me, I say, 'How do you like me now! YEAH!'"

Arch #21: "It feels good to be top 20, yes. But my stand is far from over. I think I'm strong enough to make it to top 10 within the next 4000 years. I'll get there, I have patience to see it through."

Arch #3: "Who cares! It's not like anybody even looks at the arches ranked under top 5! I've been in this business a long time. I know what the people really want. And one day, you'll see--actually, you probably won't. Ha! That's hilarious!"

Arch #1007: "God bless #12, he was a good arch. To be honest, I'd like to check out myself. I just don't think I can do this much longer."

I hope we can all take some time to celebrate the long life of Arch #12. RIP (geologists are counting those pieces now) Wall Arch.

And congratulations to arch #13 and the 2000+ others who've moved up in the rankings. It was sweet victory for them all, and that is one of life's greatest pleasures.

----
See arch story here.

No comments: